Your pet has a weight problem! This may be very detrimental to its health and is responsible for many chronic medical problems.
PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH OBESITY INCLUDE:
• Arthritis, “slipped disc,” and torn or strained ligaments.
• Respiratory problems associated with endurance and exercise.
• Heart problems from overwork.
• Liver disease.
• Dystocia – difficulty in giving birth.
• Heat Stroke – due to a decreased ability to control heat.
• Skin problems.
• Excessive gas and/or constipation.
• Lowered resistance to disease.
• Anal gland impaction and infection.
• Increased risk for anesthesia and surgery.
OBESITY REDUCES YOUR PET’S LIFE SPAN!!! (And also its enjoyment of life!)
CAUSES OF OBESITY:
OVEREATING!! (90% of all cases)
• Lack of exercise.
• Lowered metabolism.
• Emotional trauma.
• Hormonal imbalances.
We are interested in all phases of disease prevention, and will work closely with you to reduce your pet’s weight.
SUCCESS DEPENDS ON TOTAL COOPERATION!!
• Decrease food intake 40% – this means feed about 1/2 the normal amount fed
• Spread the total daily ration throughout the day.
• Several small feedings are recommended instead of one or two larger meals.
• Snacks MUST NOT BE GIVEN!
• One daily pet tab vitamin is ALL that is permissible.
• The pet does NOT really care about the snack, but rather the attention it gets.
• Keep the pet out of the kitchen/dining area at meal times.
• Feed only Prescription Diet OM.
• I have had no success feeding other commercially prepared foods or homemade diets.
• Commercial Low-Calorie Diets may be used once the weight is removed to prevent regaining weight.
• Expect your pet to lose 1-2 pounds EACH week maximum.